The first print i made of this messed up because i ended up putting finger prints all over the paper. I decided to use this print to see how far the colour change in selenium would go. What follows is a series of pictures (taken on my camera phone - sorry for the poor quality of some of them) from 0 to 23 minutes taken every 60 seconds to demonstrate the colour changes.
Firstly here is the original, untoned print:
|Untoned, wet print (note the golden yellow colour - when dry this turned a strong pinkish colour)|
|30s - note the shadows immediately turning a cool purplish colour|
|1:30 shadows cooling off further and working up to the lower midtones|
|3:00 midtones starting to be affected. Hints of purple can be seen around the boats cabin|
|4:00 nice separation in the cabin area and increased separation in the sky|
|6:00 purple tones taking over the midtones now and moving up towards the highlights. The sandy foreground taking on a cooler steely grey tone.|
|9:00 cloud separation reducing slightly as the cooler grey moves towards the purple areas|
|14:00 the cool grey now slowly turning into a soft creamy buff colour|
|15:00 as the creamy colour is taking over cloud separation has reduced significantly|
|17:00 shadows have a slight olivey brown tone|
|23:00 the cream has settled into a pale creamy grey colour across the print|
I'm sure this "toner painting" could be just as easily applied to any other paper. You probably won't get as much of an extreme colour shifting but you may get something. It's certainly something i'll be keeping in mind to try out in the future.