Tuesday 7 January 2014

Improving Records...Again!



  For some reason I am really anal about keeping records.  When I am out with my camera I write all my aperture, shutter, metering etc settings down in a notebook.  When I develop the film I add even more notes to the notebook, then when I’m printing I will make notes on each print I make.  Each roll of film is given a designated number, as is each frame on the roll.  These numbers are used from loading the camera to the making final prints.
  The problem I’m having is that when I go to print I always forget to pickup my notebook.  Doesn’t sound like much of a problem but in all honesty it’s a pain in the bum having to go back into the house, dig out my camera bag and then go back to the shed.  How to resolve this problem?  Why, another spreadsheet of course!   And as usual I will be sharing it with all my readers, I have designed it so that it (hopefully) covers everything I’ll need to record.  When I get home after a shoot or after I have developed a film I will transfer all of my exposure and development data onto this sheet from my notebook and store it in the darkroom in my negative file along with the contact sheet and any print records.  That way if I go back to a negative weeks, months and years down the line I don’t have to trawl through the messy handwriting in my notebook.

  Hopefully some of you will find this useful anyway, as always if you can think of anything to add let me know.  Follow this link to download a copy for yourself.  As always i will post a link in the downloadable resources section of this blog.  It's all pretty self explanatory, the only thing i need to mention is the MLU and CR boxes.  These are boxes for you to tick if you used mirror lockup and/or cable release.

No comments:

Post a Comment